Seeing Teddy Kennedy rant in the Senate today reminded me of this column from Cal Thomas which points out again the duplicity of the Democrats who are calling the president a liar. Excerpts:
– “We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons ..” – Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), (9/27/02)
– “The threat of Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction is real .” – Sen. Bob Graham (D-Fla.), (12/8/02)
– “We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction.” – Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), (10/10/02)
– “In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members .. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.” – Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), (10/10/02)
– “I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in (Saddam Hussein’s) hands is a real and grave threat to our security.” – Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), (10/03/02)
– “If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.” – Former president Bill Clinton (2/4/98)
So what changed? Were these leading Democrats telling the truth then, or are they telling the truth now?